DTx, sometimes called the 3rd generation pharmaceuticals …. and how the combination with drugs can offer a synergistic treatment possibility to form a key pillar of pharmaceutical care.
What is digital therapeutics?
Digital therapeutics (DTx) deliver evidence-based therapeutic interventions to patients. It is driven by high quality software programs to prevent, manage, or treat a broad spectrum of physical, mental, and behavioral conditions. Digital therapeutics form an independent category of evidence-based products within the broader digital health landscape. It is distinct from pure-play adherence, diagnostic, and telehealth products.
As the DTx field grows, patients, providers, and payers can expect to see an increasingly comprehensive network of therapy options for medical disorders and diseases. Accounting for the diversity of products across the DTx industry, individual digital therapeutics have the potential to:
- Enhance and support current medical treatments
- Provide patients, providers, and payers with novel therapy options for unmet medical needs
- Be used independently or in conjunction with other therapies
- Reduce reliance on certain pharmaceuticals or other therapies
- Integrate into medical guidelines and best practices
Digital therapeutics are designed to integrate into patient lifestyles and provider workflows to deliver a fully integrated healthcare experience with improved outcomes forming one of the pillars of pharmaceutical care.
Benefits of Digital Therapeutics
Digital therapeutics are demonstrating meaningful benefits for stakeholders across the spectrum of healthcare delivery. Continued evolution in the field will result in expanded therapeutic targets and interventions for patients, caregivers, healthcare providers, and payers.
Patient and caregiver benefits include:
- Increased access to reliable, evidenced-based interventions that are delivered with a high control of quality
- Personalized care delivered to a patient independent of schedule constraints and in the privacy of their own environment
- Reduced stigma associated with the delivery of certain traditional therapies
Healthcare provider and health system benefits include:
- Increased access to novel treatment options for conditions that previously have been untreated or undertreated by traditional medications and therapies
- Ability to prescribe DTx products to patients as monotherapy or in concert with other therapies to optimize patient care and health outcomes
- Intelligent data-driven care management and clinical decision making capabilities
Payer benefits include:
- Improved clinical and health economic outcomes at the patient and population levels for a large range of physical, behavioral, and mental disorders and diseases
- Increased patient population exposure to effective and engaging treatments without potentially requiring an equivalent workforce expansion
- Decreased economic burden of medical conditions by reducing overall costs